Nashville SC has launched a social media campaign over the last couple of days, where it has encouraged fans to share their soccer experiences in life and with the club using the hashtag #MySoccerStory.
The soccer story movement has been a fantastic way to get fans involved and let the club know they are supported in anticipation of Monday night’s pivotal Metro Council meeting that will determine the future of MLS in Nashville.
On the field, Nashville’s soccer story is still that it’s fighting for a playoff position. Although the Boys in Gold are unbeaten in their last three matches, including ties against top-four sides FC Cincinnati and Louisville City FC, they still find themselves on the outside of the USL Eastern Conference playoff picture.
With a couple of games in hand, however, the next two home fixtures provide Nashville a massive opportunity to leap as high as fifth in the standings, pending the results of the other matches this weekend as well.
Nashville’s opponent Saturday, Bethlethem Steel, will not be a pushover given their current run of form. The Philadelphia Union affiliate has won five of its last six matches, propelling it all the way up to fifth place in the Eastern Conference and tied for points with Indy Eleven at 39.
Team: Bethlehem Steel FC
- Affiliation: Philadelphia Union
- Stadium: Goodman Stadium (16,000)
- Goodman Stadium is home to Lehigh University’s football team
- The stadium also hosted Philadelphia Eagles training camp from 1996-2012
- Coach: Brendan Burke (3rd season)
- Burke began his coaching career as manager of Reading United in the U.S. PDL, where he went a remarkable 71-18-19
- He played as a center back for teams in the U.S. and Ireland
- First Season: 2016
- 2017 Finish: 12-12-8 (lost in Conference Quarterfinals (4-0, Louisville City FC)
- Best-ever Finish: 2017 (Conference Quarterfinals)
- Supporters’ Group: East End Army
- Three Fun Facts:
- The team’s name and colors are a tribute to Bethlehem Steel F.C., which played from 1907-1930 and won five U.S. Open Cups — tied for the most in U.S. soccer history
- The colors of Bethlehem Steel FC are navy blue, gold and red, combining the primary colors of both the original Bethlehem Steel F.C. and the Philadelphia Union
- The Steel won only two of their final 10 matches in 2017 (2-3-5)
Here’s what Nashville SC coach Gary Smith had to say about the match.
Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. at First Tennessee Park. You can watch the game on MyTV30, stream on ESPN+, or listen to 94.9 Game 2.
Since Wes Boling of Golden Goal is calling the match for 94.9, he has elected to not make a prediction.
Andy Simmons, Golden Goal
Goal: Ropapa Mensah
MOTM: Matt Pickens
Forecast: Mensah comes on and scores a late-winner.
Jonathan Slape, Speedway Soccer
Goals: Lebo Moloto and Brando Allen
MOTM: Lebo Moloto
Forecast: Chris Tyrpak gets his first minutes for NSC
Ben Wright, Speedway Soccer
Goal: Ropapa Mensah
Forecast: Tucker Hume creates the most chances of any NSC player